Yes, I pledged money to buy MySpace today. But before you right me off as a fool soon parting with his money, let me explain why.
After reading the article this morning from The Next Web about the committee that was crowd-funding to buy the failed MySpace social network from Uncle Rupert, I initially had really mixed emotions. I remember the Euphoria of leaving MySpace all those years ago for that brash upstart, Facebook, even though I has a lot of friends still there. I really felt that the boats had been destroyed and I would never go back to glitter graphics and rampant spam again.
But when I read the open letter from the Lets Buy MySpace committee to Rupert Murdoch, I was inspired by the possibility of a democratic social network, owned and funded by the users. You can read the full letter here, but below are the quotes that stood out for me.
We say that with the right understanding and democratic choices on purpose and function of the network, MySpace can not only return to former glory but also prove a stable and rewarding investment for all its users.
Wait a second, democratic choices for a social network. I'm confident that Facebook is completely managed by Mark and the exact image he has in his head. I'm confident Apple is run that way too. And Twitter although run more by a committee doesn't provide any democratic power to users.
But I will admit that although I use Facebook, I hate most of the decisions that are made, especially those made about privacy. Could a user run social network provide the first real viable alternative to Facebook?
We are asking people to not accept that they cannot control what they use online, return to MySpace but on your terms, ‘OurSpace’ ‘YourSpace’, your rules.
OK... you had me at hello. Go on...
Personal network that nobody can find or see? Sure, no problem. Open network so everyone can see everything about you? Fine. Want to play games and post scores? fine, but your friend might not want to see this, also fine. Your choice, you’re in control of it all.
Now this all sounds great but there is a great deal being promised. I'm no programer, but I know enough to say that this broad level of functionality is going to take some significant engineering. And of greater concern is providing a level of simplicity for user to know what level of public exposure that information has.
I also kicked in some cash for Diaspora, but it is very clear to me that normal people aren't going to set up their own decentralised server, its just too complicated.
As a realist, my head says that to pull this off will take a massive amount of re-engineering. So much so that you wonder if its worth buying the site at all. Would it be easier to start fresh, rather than retro fit the old girl with a new lolly-pop and hobby-horse?
But my romantic side kicked in. What if it could be done? What would it be like to own a piece (shares are offered for pledging) of a social network and have a vote on the different aspects of the site.
The committees responsibility will be to draw up the plans for MySpace.com based on initial thoughts and ideas but primarily on the feedback of the people pledging, the share holders, you. EVERYTHING will then be put to a vote and will be actioned based on the outcome of this.
So while I remain skeptical about the execution, I am intrigued to see what would happen. A centrally hosted site, democratically run and owned by the users. I don't know how this is going to end, but I cant wait to find out.
Thank you Michael, your pledge is appreciated.
ReplyDelete