Now I know this post may sound like a crybaby, but I'm feeling very uneasy about my mortality at the moment. And why you may ask? Simply put, I'm becoming very aware that I'm not six-foot tall bullet-proof.
My story begins when my father recently had a number of melanoma removed from his arms. Thankfully it would appear that all is well and that there is no current concern of a spread of cancer. But it did make me begin to wonder if I need to have a checkup as I've never been to a skin cancer clinic before.
And I grew on the beaches of the Gold Coast, Penrith on the Sea, where the six weeks of school holidays we would be out in the sun surfing, swimming, and generally goofing off until the streetlights came on which as we all know is the universal signal to return home. Slip slop slap was around in those days, but the risks of sun exposure was not nearly as prevalent as it is today.
So on Monday, I finally stopped procrastinating and went for a checkup. And although my consultation was a mere 15 minutes, I had no less than seven spots that were considered to be a concern. One of those spots found my belly was immediately given a local anaesthetic and with the use a laser given a quick touch up. However, six of the spots found mostly in my lower back will require me to return to the clinic twice more in the next three weeks from all invasive procedure. At each visit I will have three of the spots removed and my skin stitched back together.
Now this is where I start to sound like a sook. I know that Australia has some of the highest incidence of skin cancer in air of any country in the world, but I'm now shit scared about what this all means. It's not so much the needles or scalpels all the stitches that concern me, more that there are so many spots that caught the doctors eye.
And let's face it I don't even know if any of those spots are considered cancerous, for all I know they could be funny coloured little freckles. are what I'm finding most difficult is the wait. Its just far too long to sit and think about this stuff or worse still to Google all the information and horror stories that the Internet has to offer.
I mean I fully believe that 9/10 fears are never realised and assure that be the case here as well. I had mentioned on twitter this morning about how I was feeling and was really grateful for @Kirrily and @SomeoneLifestyl to offer up some encouragement and reassurance. Yes, I'm sure it'll be fine and once I get the results back from the biopsy build a great relief. But passing the days between now and then seem like a real challenge. At least next week I'll have other things to distract me, like the three holes in my back and their associated stitches.
So I'll take my two tablespoons of concrete tonight and should harden up by morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment